John Butterick, a researcher at
was obsessed with long life. While
studying in West
Virginia University Canada,
he spent six months ingesting BTH, a
chemical used in food packaging to retard spoiling, but later he believed he
had found the substance that would allow him to live for 200 years. The
substance was warfarin, sometimes used in small quantities as an anti-congulant,
but best known for its use as rat poison.
In January 1980, he was found lying on his bed in his apartment, having bled to death, with blood covering his clothes, the mattress, a glass, the kitchen floor and the bathroom. Butterick’s quest for immortality had been cut short at the age of 33.